Cottage Grove Historical Society is a non-profit society of volunteers with membership open to all who meet to learn more about protecting our local cultural heritage.
The mission of the Cottage Grove Historical Society is to preserve and celebrate the history and heritage of the Cottage Grove area and to stimulate interest and knowledge for generations to come.
The historical library collection is located downtown Cottage Grove, Oregon at 737 Main Street. Call 541-942-5022 for an appointment. The Research Library Committee gathers, organizes, and catalogs information into a traditional library setting so it can then be used by the general public. Our Library hours are Wed through Sat from 1 - 4 p.m.
Monthly meetings are held at 10 a.m. the third Saturday of the month at the Community Center on Gibbs Avenue (Cottage Grove Public Library).
Nicknamed "Slab Town" because wood slabs were placed in the trail ruts to keep the wagon wheels from sinking into mud during rainy seasons, the original town of Cottage Grove paralleled the west side of the Coast Fork of the Willamette River following the old Applegate Trail.
As the business district grew, it moved east. When the railroad came in 1872, businesses developed on what is now Main Street. The railroad was the center of commerce as well as the principle form of transportation, other than stage coach or team and wagon. During this time, a city council was formed which still exists today.
When gold was discovered in the nearby Bohemia Mountains in 1858, many downtown businesses were started by people who obtained their grubstake in the mines. At one time, there were seven saloons on the north side of Main Street. Those who didn't have anything to do with cards, dancing or alcohol, walked on the other side. The ladies and children had small park areas and inside reading rooms to rest in while waiting for their men to take the family home.
The post office became a bone of contention: one side wanted it to be near the railroad station, but the others didn't want it moved at all. The East-Siders referred to their town as "Lemati", a Native American word meaning "peaceful valley." Whoever happened to be appointed Postmaster moved it to their home or business location. During the Lemati feud, the post office was moved under cover of darkness by members of two prominent families to an area between the warring factions. It was literally dragged by a team of horses, probably as a prank, but ended up being a satisfactory solution to both sides.
Several feature films have been shot on location in and around Cottage Grove including The General; numerous scenes from Animal House, most notably the parade scene; Stand By Me and Emperor of the North.